|Beef Barley Soup|
Photo tutorial Beef Barley Soup
|Brown meat, onion, celery|
|Add rest of ingredients through barley|
|Cover and simmer 45 minutes|
|Add milk and tomato paste|
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used portabella)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp flour
- 3 cans (14oz) beef broth or 3 cups of water and 3 beef bullion cubes
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ C medium pearl barley
- 1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
- 2 Tbls tomato paste
- In a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat combine beef, mushrooms, celery, onion. Cook until meat is browned.
- Add and stir until blended flour then gradually add broth.
- Add carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper, barley.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Whisk in evaporated milk and tomato paste