Picnic Perfect Potato Salad is not your “run-of-the-mill” potato salad! NOPE! It’s Waaayy better than that
Let’s just say it’s a skinnier and yummier version of a Potato Salad… AND who doesn’t LOVE that?!?!? It’s got flavor you won’t believe and still has all that creamy deliciousness!
Today, I’m joining up with some fellow bloggers to be part of a “Progressive Picnic”… the idea is to hop from blog to blog and get lotsa yummy recipes from all of us! SO here are the other ladies sites and we hope you have a fabulous time on this Progressive Picnic!
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Dates at Growing Up Gabel
Red, White, and Blue Sangria at Peace, Love, Recipes
Thai Basil Chicken Lettuce Wraps at Run DMT
Picnic Perfect Potato Salad at What’s Cooking with Ruthie
White Chocolate Brownies at Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
*SO many thanks to Camille at Growing up Gabel for hosting!!
*I adapted this recipe from Food Network Magazine, June 2010
So, for your Memorial Day get togethers take healthy Picnic Perfect Potato Salad along! Everyone will thing you’ve cooked up a delicacy!!
AND just in case your wondering… “Chat with Ruthie” post will be Thursday this week so I can take part in this progressive picnic today
- 1 lemon
- 5-6 sprigs fresh parsley, plus 2 Tbsp chopped leaves
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ¼ inch slices
- Sea Salt
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut into ¼ inch coins
- ¾ C plain low fat greek yogurt
- ¼ C low fat mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 scallions, minced, whites and greens seperated
- ¾ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 stalks celery, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 small cucumber, cut into ¼ inch slices
- In a large stock pot add 8 cups water, 2 Tablespoons sea salt, bring to boil. Peel a 2 inch long strip of zest from the lemon; tie into bundle with parsley, thyme, and bay leaf using kitchen twine. Add potatoes, garlic, herb bundle. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cook 8 minutes. Add carrots and cook another 4-5 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender crisp.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water, drain the vegetables, discard herb bundle.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, finely grate 2 tsp lemon zest, squeeze 3 Tbsp lemon juice into a large bowl.
- Whisk in greek yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, scallion whites, chopped parsley, reserved cooking water, ¾ tsp seas salt, ¾ tsp pepper.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and cucumber to dressing and toss.
- Chill about 4 hours.
- Top with scallion greens and Serve!