the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies this is my good friend Shelby’s recipe… it’s about as near and dear to my heart as a recipe can get.
You know how, when you smell a certain aroma or taste a certain recipe, suddenly you’re transported back in time!? The memory behind these cookies are… Shelby. She’s one of my best friends and several years ago we were neighbors. She wasn’t the normal kind of neighbor, she was the kind that knows-your-garage-code and is
welcome-to-whatever-is-in-your-house-at-anytime, kind of neighbor!
Shelby was there for me during a really hard period in my life… I was divorced with 3 little kids, no family nearby, and Shelb filled in all those little holes in my life for me. It just isn’t possible to express in words what she means to me and I’ll never be able to thank her enough. I miss her and her cookies all the time- Shelby could whip these babies up in 30 seconds flat and if she didn’t already have some cooked and ready for you when you dropped in- then there was a really good chance she had dough in the fridge!
It was a sad day… when I had to call and ask her for the recipe. I’d moved a long ways away and had to make my very own batch of Shelby’s the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies and I needed that all-too-familiar taste of my good friend’s cookies to comfort me a little bit.
- 1¼ C brown sugar
- ¾ C butter crisco
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1¾ C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 12 oz bag milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine the first 4 ingredients, mix 2-3 minutes until creamed well.
- Add egg, mix well.
- Add flour ½ C at a time, mixing in, then add salt and baking soda, mix well.
- Add chocolate chips, mix until incorporated.
- Drop by Tablespoon full onto cooking sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Let cookies rest for 1 minute on cookie sheet, then move to cooling rack to finish cooling.
These cookies are the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies in the world to me! Not just because they are moist and flaky with the perfect amount of chocolate chips, BUT because they will always remind me of Shelby, the amazing friend she is, and all the memories of that time when we were lucky enough to be neighbors.
Kinda surprising that a cookie can mean all of that, isn’t it?
You may also enjoy these other recipes: