I have some exciting news! WCw/R’s Family Favorites Cookbook is now also available on Kindle/Amazon plus on iTunes for iPads… Whoot-whoot!
Click on the links below to check it out:
iTunes for the iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/whats-cooking-ruthie-family/id693265329?ls=1
Thanks y’all… you’ll love every recipe in the cookbook- PROMISE.
Now, for todays delicious recipe..
The fall weather has definitely set in around out neck of the woods the past couple of days… hoping it’s not here to stay quiet yet but you never know with mother nature, right?!
Nothing hits the spot like a hot bowl of soup on a cold day and this French Onion Soup recipe will surely do the job!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 lb. yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tsp. of minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 cup of white wine (Beringer’s Pinot Grigio)
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- french bread, thinly sliced and toasted under broiler
- gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in ceramic dutch oven or heavy bottom stock pot on stove top add onions.
- Put in oven with lid on for 1 hours.
- Place on stove top and add minced garlic.
- Turn heat off and add wine.
- Turn heat on medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and beef broth.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Return heat to a boil then simmer for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Serve with french bread toasts set over the top of individual servings of soup, topped with gruyere cheese, and melt under broiler just until lightly browned.
- Shred parmesan cheese on top right as served.
If your wondering about the alcohol in this recipe… most of it simmers off but a little bit will stay. It actually ends up being pretty close to the same amount left as the vanilla we bake with all the time so no worries.
French Onion Soup is much easier to make than you ever imagined AND it tastes even better!
I hope your week is going well… it’s flying by! Happy Thursday